|In the 20th century Tresarran Cottages were farm
buildings but prior to that they were in fact old mine buildings.
Lead and silver was mined in Herodsfoot for over three hundred
years. In the 18th century, Shippen
was the carpenter's workshop, Farm
and Huel cottages formed part of the mine
Other relics of the mining past remain: the mill leats and crumbling
buildings on our land, and in the immediate vicinity, engine
houses and two chimney stacks.
Early in the 19th century, Herodsfoot Mine was about
300ft deep, but its main active period was from 1847 to 1884. At first
waterwheels were employed for pumping and hoisting but a 40-inch beam
pumping engine was soon needed, and in 1864 that was replaced by a more
powerful 60-inch. Six years later, the deepest levels were almost a
thousand feet below the surface, and the workforce numbered 150. Early
in the 1880s, part of the site appears to have been worked separately as
North Herodsfoot mine (now Tresarran).
Herodsfoot gets its own Church
In the 1840s, the little village of Herodsfoot became a
boom town. There had been mining here for centuries but then engine
houses and new shafts appeared on either side of the valley producing
tons of lead and also some silver, copper and tungsten, all needed by
the new factories in the Midlands.
Soon there were bunk-houses for the miners, 4 public houses, a school
but no Church.
|So, with the encouragement of Reverend Robert Scott,
the vicar of Duloe, it was decided to build one on the hill above
the village and the Church of All Saints opened in 1850.
Then in the 1890s mining ceased and Herodsfoot became a
rural village again. But the mining past is not forgotten. On the
hillsides can be seen the chimneys of the engine houses and the
Deerpark holiday cabins are built on the site of the gunpowder mill
where the explosive charges were made for use in the mines. And All
Saints Church is little changed since Victorian times.
The parish Church of All Saints is still used for
worship every Sunday. This delightful Church is well worth a visit and
is open every day of the year. There is always a friendly welcome at the
|Many places have war memorials but the one in the
middle of Herodsfoot is different. It records the local men who
fought in both world wars and surprisingly all returned safely, so
Herodsfoot is known as 'a fortunate village'.
For more pictures and information about Herodsfoot visit